.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thesis & Antithesis

A critical perspective on energy, international politics & current affairs

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C.

greekdefaultwatch@gmail.com Natural gas consultant by day, blogger on the Greek economy by night. Trained as an economist and political scientist. I believe in common sense and in data, and my aim is to offer insight written in language that is clear and convincing.

20 February 2006

Danish regret

From Al-Jazeera: “Saudi newspapers have run full-page statements from the editor-in-chief of the Danish newspaper that first ran cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad, expressing his ‘deep sorrow’ and saying the paper had not intended to denigrate the prophet. The statements, in Arabic, ran in advertisements in three of Saudi Arabia's main newspapers, Al-Jazeera, Al-Riyadh and Al-Youm, as well as the Saudi-owned Asharq Al-Awsat, which is distributed around the Arab world, put forward by the newspaper Jyllands-Posten in an effort to stem the wave of outrage in the Islamic world over the drawings.” (link)

From Flemming Rose, culture editor of the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten: “Has Jyllands-Posten insulted and disrespected Islam? It certainly didn't intend to. But what does respect mean? When I visit a mosque, I show my respect by taking off my shoes. I follow the customs, just as I do in a church, synagogue or other holy place. But if a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy.” (link)

1 Comments:

Blogger Nikos Tsafos said...

I should add that al-Jazeera mentioned the Washington Post article by Flemming Rose, but it did so after I had made my post. http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/04A431AE-08F4-4DC0-8531-272CCE82E996.htm

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home