.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thesis & Antithesis

A critical perspective on energy, international politics & current affairs

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C.

greekdefaultwatch@gmail.com Natural gas consultant by day, blogger on the Greek economy by night. Trained as an economist and political scientist. I believe in common sense and in data, and my aim is to offer insight written in language that is clear and convincing.

08 February 2006

Cartoonomania

I have avoided comments on the growing hysteria that surrounds that publication of cartoons that depict the Prophet Muhammad, in part because the whole story saddens me and in part because I am just waiting to see how it plays out. But I found this perspective from Anne Applebaum that is rather worthwhile:

“Of course, some good may come out of this story, even in this country. If nothing else, this controversy should bring an end to that naive, charming and sadly incorrect American theory of international relations that ‘the more we all learn about one another, the less we will fight.’ Gradually, the Islamic world is learning that we don't respect religion in the same manner they do. Slowly, we are learning that they feel differently about the printed word, and the printed picture, from us. And somehow, I've got a feeling that this new knowledge will be not the beginning of understanding but the inspiration for more violence.”

Reference:
Anne Applebaum: “A Cartoon’s Portrait of America,” Washington Post, 8 Feb 06 (link)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home