.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thesis & Antithesis

A critical perspective on energy, international politics & current affairs

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C.

greekdefaultwatch@gmail.com Natural gas consultant by day, blogger on the Greek economy by night. Trained as an economist and political scientist. I believe in common sense and in data, and my aim is to offer insight written in language that is clear and convincing.

15 December 2005

The other blowback

Matt Pottinger is a former Wall Street Journal reporter who recently quit his job to join the Marines. He wrote an op-ed in the Journal explaining his reasons for doing so. There is this short passage that just stood out for me:

“But why the Marines?

A year ago, I was at my sister's house using her husband's laptop when I came across a video of an American in Iraq being beheaded by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. The details are beyond description here; let's just say it was obscene. At first I admit I felt a touch of the terror they wanted me to feel, but then I felt the anger they didn't. We often talk about how our policies are radicalizing young men in the Middle East to become our enemies, but rarely do we talk about how their actions are radicalizing us. In a brief moment of revulsion, sitting there in that living room, I became their blowback.”

References:
Matt Pottinger, “Mightier than the pen,” Wall Street Journal, 15 Dec 05

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home