.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thesis & Antithesis

A critical perspective on energy, international politics & current affairs

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C.

greekdefaultwatch@gmail.com Natural gas consultant by day, blogger on the Greek economy by night. Trained as an economist and political scientist. I believe in common sense and in data, and my aim is to offer insight written in language that is clear and convincing.

25 August 2005

Leaving home

It is the second time I am leaving Greece to study abroad; but this time I sense that I am leaving much behind. There is one Hemingway quote that pops in mind every time I think about my life in Greece these past two years; he wrote in Sun Also Rises,

“Women made such swell friends. Awfully swell. In the first place you had to be in love with a woman to have a basis of friendship. I had been having Brett for a friend. I had not been thinking about her side of it. I had been getting something for nothing. That only delayed the presentation of the bill. The bill always came. That was one of the swell things you could count on.”

That’s my way to say that I will miss some people back home, though probably not in the way Hemingway writes of Brett. What I read in this passage is how the lines that separate emotions get blurred, as familiarity breeds intimacy, pleasure, admiration, and love; and over time, these blend and form a powerful bond which captures in it the intense energy of friendship. It is this energy that was released the day I left Greece—my own “presentation of the bill.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home